Thursday, November 20, 2008

The idea of Keats

After my blog entry from last night, I was reading further into the novel and found a fascinating passage, considering what I discussed in my previous entry. I mentioned my suspicion concerning the role of “willing suspension of disbelief” in the solidification of the daemon's form. I have a feeling that I will keep finding evidence for this connection, especially since I'm looking for it, but this passage particularly struck me. “...Capable of being in uncertainties, mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact and reason.” This dialogue occurs when Dr. Malone quotes Keats while explaining the process one must undergo in order to visualize dust. Of course, Lyra is already familiar with this process from her use of the alethiometer. But it clearly demonstrates a connection between dust and the “willing suspension of disbelief” This, in turn, is connected to the accumulation of dust as one ages, and this may be further connected to the solidification of the daemon's form. As I read on I may come to some differing conclusions, but it is an interesting topic to ponder. Here is the letter in which Keats discusses his theory of negative capability:

I had not a dispute but a disquisition with Dilke, on various subjects; several things dovetailed in my mind, & at once it struck me, what quality went to form a Man of Achievement especially in literature & which Shakespeare possessed so enormously - I mean Negative Capability, that is when man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts without any irritable reaching after fact & reason.
-John Keats

No comments: